Angling in Cornwall
Pesk En Kernow
Cornwall's fishy things
Coarse fishing can be enjoyed all year round in Cornwall, and the mild Cornish winters ensure that it is not too much of a hardship. The salmon and trout season depends on the river and runs from April or May to October or November (check with the phone numbers given for exact details)
Newquay makes a good base for the fisherman, with half a dozen well stocked lakes within ten minutes drive from the centre of Newquay, and if you drive an extra half hour there are several more, on a range of lakes and rivers offering both coarse and fly fishing.
A Trip in a Boat
Whether you fancy an hours mackerel-ling in the still calm of a summer evening, available at many of the resorts, including Looe, St. Ives and Mevagissey, or a longer trip say four hours off the reef, or even an all day wreck fishing out of Padstow or Boscastle, both on the North Cornish Coast, there's plenty of choice. Species include pollack caught on feather, conger and pouting on mackerel strip, bass and cod in the autumn, and even flatfish such as plaice or skate on the patches of sandy ground between the reefs. If its a really hot summer there may be even delicious black bream around.
Shore Fishing from the Beaches, Headlands and Cliffs
On many of the Headlands the water deepens quickly and rock dwellers such as cuckoo and ballan wrasse are to be had, if you have the skill to prevent the initial dive once the fish takes. Small crabs are an ideal bait for wrasse. Most of the Headlands have good marks from Logans Rock in the far south-west to Pentire in the North of the county. Many of the best marks involve a long walk and a stiff climb. There are some celebrated bass marks in the County, but you'll have to find them yourselves.
The Estuaries and Harbours
Though many anglers only retreat to the shelter of the estuaries and harbours when its too rough to fish the open sea, good fishing is still to be had, especially on an incoming tide on a winters night. For example both the Looe and Fowey hold very large flounder. Pollack venture well up the Looe River looking for scraps under the Fish Market, providing great sport on light float tackle on cold winter nights.
- The Bude Canal has coarse fishing available. Tel: (01288) 361399.
- The River Camel has sea trout and brown trout. Tel: (01208) 76484.
- The River Fowey has a season for sea trout and salmon from 1st April to 30th September on a two mile stretch near Lanhydrock.. Tel: (01208) 74281.
- The East and West Looe Rivers have a salmon and trout season from 1st April to 15th December. Tel: (01503) 263535.
- The Lynher River is good for salmon, brown trout and sea trout. Tel: (01503) 264173.
- The Seaton River has some trout fishing. Tel: (01503) 264173.
- The Upper Tamar River between Kingford Mill and Bridgerule. Tickets are required for fly fishing for brown trout. Tel: (01579) 372140.
Lakes & Reservoirs
- Argal and College Reservoirs, Argal, Near Penryn, TR10 9JF, Tel: (01326) 372544.
- Bussow Reservoir, Near St. Ives, TR26 3AH, Tel: (01837) 871565.
- Colliford Lake, Near Bolventor, Bodmin Moor, PL14 6QA, Tel: (01566) 771930.
- Crowdy Reservoir, Near Camelford, PL32 9XJ, Tel: (01840) 212356.
- Drift Reservoir, Near Penzance, TR19 6AB, Tel: (01736) 786613.
- Lower Tamar Lake, Near. Kilkhampton, Bude, EX23 9SB, Tel: (01837) 871565.
- Porth Reservoir, Near Newquay, TR8 4JS, Tel: (01837) 871565.
- Siblyback Reservoir, St. Cleer, Liskeard, PL14 6ER, Tel: (01579) 346522.
- Stithians Reservoir, Near Redruth, TR16 6NW, Tel: (01209) 860301.
- Upper Tamar Lake, Near Kilkhampton, Bude, EX23 9SB, Tel: (01288) 321712.
- Adamsfield Fishery, Tremaine, Near Launceston, PL15 8UD, Tel: (01566) 781243.
- Amalwhidden Farm, Towednack, Near St. Ives, TR26 3AR, Tel: (01736) 796961, Web: www.cornwallcoarsefishing.co.uk.
- B.K.Fisheries, St. Erth, Hayle, TR27 6HP, Tel: (01736) 753275.
- Bake Fishing Lakes, near Saltash, PL12 5BW, Tel: (01752) 849027, Web: www.bakelakes.co.uk.
- Bolingey Lake, Perranporth, TR6 0DH, Tel: (01872) 571626.
- Borlasevath Manor Farm, St. Wenn, Bodmin, PL30 5PW, Tel: (01637) 880826.
- Bragg's Wood Water, Boyton, near Launceston, PL15 9RG, Tel: (01566) 776474.
- Butterwell Fishery, Near Bodmin, PL30 5LQ, Tel: (01208) 831515, Web: www.butterwellfarm.com.
- Coombe Mill, St. Breward, Bodmin, PL30 4LZ, Tel: (01208) 850344, Web: www.coombemill.com.
- Dutson Water, Launceston, PL15 9SP, Tel: (01566) 772607.
- East Rose Fishing Lake, St. Breward, Bodmin, PL30 4NL, Tel: (01208) 850674, Web: www.eastrose.co.uk.
- Fenwick Trout Fishery, Dunmere, Bodmin, PL31 2RD, Tel: (01208) 78296.
- Ferndale Coarse Fishing Lakes, Delabole, PL33 9BU, Tel: (01840) 211017.
- Glenleigh Farm Fishery, Sticker, St. Austell, PL26 7JB, Tel: (01726) 731154, Web: www.glenleighfarm.com.
- Gwinear Pool, Cubert, Newquay, TR8 5JX, Tel: (01637) 830165, Web: http://gwinear.com.
- Hele Barton Fishery, Week St. Mary, Near Bude, EX22 6XR, Tel: (01288) 341847, Web: www.helebarton.co.uk/fishing.
- Hidden Valley, Launceston, PL15 8SJ, Tel: (01566) 86463, Web: www.hiddenvalleydiscoverypark.co.uk.
- Innis Fly Fishery, Penwithick, St. Austell, PL26 8YH, Tel: (01726) 852382, Web: www.innis-fly-fishery.co.uk.
- Lower Pennycrocker Coarse Fishing, Boscastle, PL35 0BY, Tel: (01840) 250257.
- Middle Boswin Fishery, Middle Boswin Farm, Porkellis, Near Helston, TR13 0HR, Tel: (01209) 860420, Web: www.middle-boswin.store.buegle.com.
- Mylor Angling Lakes, Mylor Bridge, Near Falmouth, TR11 5SG, Tel: (01326) 373975.
- Oakside Fishery, Whitecross, Near Newquay, TR8 4QL, Tel: (07773) 224243, Web: www.oaksidefishery.co.uk.
- Pensagillas Park, Grampound, Truro, TR2 4SR, Tel: (01872) 530808, Web: www.pensagillas-park.co.uk.
- Rose Park Trout Fishery, Trezibbet, Altarnun, PL15 7RF, Tel: (01566) 86278, Web: www.roseparkfishery.co.uk.
- Snowland Angling Centre, Par, PL24 2AE, Tel: (01726) 825058, Web: www.snowlandfisheries.co.uk.
- Temple Trout Fishery, Bolventor, PL30 4HP, Tel: (01208) 821730, Web: www.templefishery.co.uk.
- Tindeen Fishery, Bostrase, Millpool, Goldsithney, Near Penzance, TR20 9JG, Tel: (01736) 763486.
- Tredidon Barton Lake, Launceston, PL15 8SJ, Tel: (01566) 86288.
- Tree Meadow Trout Fishery, near Hayle, TR27 5EP, Tel: (01736) 850899, Web: www.treemeadow.co.uk.
Cornwall's Rivers The Cornish Fishing Industry Cornwall's Beaches